Student Ambassador Program
Discover English is dedicated to enhancing a friendly and supportive school community. We feel the DE Ambassadors will enable students to bond more closely with our school. In addition, the programme will increase self-esteem as well as peer acceptance by gaining communication and leadership experience as the Ambassadors will be involved in student support related activities and meetings.
Position title: Discover English Ambassador
Internal relationships: Student Support (Junka Steinert & Mina Obana) / Academic Management (Tegan McCarthy)
The position provides support to new students and helps them settle into the organisation of our school. The Ambassadors ensure our new students have a welcoming experience from the very beginning and follow up on the current students' concerns in an ongoing way.
- Upper-intermediate level of English
- You must have been studying at Discover English for at least four weeks
- You must have a minimum of ten weeks left
Skills & Motives
- You are genuinely interested in helping new students and making them feel at home
- You are prepared to provide some of your time to be an informal source of information for new and current students
- You are open-minded and committed to being a DE Ambassador
- You have great communication skills
- You have excellent interpersonal skills
- You have a willingness to learn
- Helping new students integrate with the school's dynamic by being a supportive peer
- Assisting during Orientation on Mondays to introduce yourself or even to translate if there are any Elementary level students present
- Taking new students to a city tour/school tour and other activities, e.g. Melbourne Museum, Aquarium, Bar Hopping, and actively participate in the school's activities.
- Providing new students with essential information, i.e. responding to everyday-questions
- Being available for about one hour per week to assist, to counsel, to encourage, to advise, etcetera (on Fridays and Mondays).
- Promoting/taking part in all sorts of social activities at Discover English, face to face and on social media.
- Generating new ideas such as sports activities/contests, themed days, etc.
Benefits & Incentives
- An additional certificate from Discover English on graduation
- A formal written reference letter from Academic Management for your professional portfolio
- Development of valuable leadership and teamwork skills
- Improvement of English communication skills
- A special badge to wear at school
- A movie voucher (after ten weeks of participation)
- The chance to contribute to the community of international students
How to apply
- Complete the application form (you can hand it out at reception or send it by email)
- Provide an endorsement letter from your teacher
- Write a short statement about WHY you want to participate
Contact for application
Mina Obana, email@example.com
Junka Steinert, firstname.lastname@example.org